Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Katee Shoots Guns in Halo 3? I Wanna Play, Too!

POSTED BY:  NightSpank 
The setting is 2007, specifically September 25th. A line is trailing out of WalMart for blocks, the store not yet opened. What are they waiting for? Halo 3, of course!
Halo 3 was hands down the most anticipated game release of 2007. It was ported only to the XBox 360 console and it sold 3.3 million copies in 12 days, even setting the record for 24-hour sales - $170 million dollars.

But the highlight of the game was not the plot, the graphics, or the epic gun shooting. No, the highlight of this game was 20 seconds worth of dialogue said by Female Marine #2, who you should all know is voiced by Katee.

Having never played the game myself - and I doubt many of the other Spanks have played it either - I was worried by this character title. As if being unnamed wasn't bad enough, she's labeled as a "marine". In shooting games, characters with names like "marine" or "soldier" and the like usually are used as shooting targets. If this was so, then we would have to boycott the game and start a movement against its players for shooting at Katee.

However, in my intense interrogation of my coworkers who have played the game, I have gleaned extremely valuable information: Instead of shooting at her, you shoot with her. I bet she kills tons of bad guys, because she's just that awesome.
She has fantastic dialogue, all 20 seconds of it. In fact, I'm willing to bet this is the highest paid batch of 20 seconds worth of lines in video game history. Nice job, Katee! You can hear her say:

  • Here it comes!
  • We've got a problem!
  • Eat lead!
  • Hold on to your hats!
for a few examples.
Now, I feel it's important to get opinions of people who have actually played the game. Unfortunately, my emails to my coworkers asking them for a typed paragraph of minimum 5 sentences have gone unanswered. I did manage to find quite a few reviews by doing a google search, including someone on Digg saying in response to the game, quote, "mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Katee Sackhoff....... damn I'm a nerd." Very to the point.

However, I will leave you with a passage from some Firefly fan who had a lot to say about the game (Source):

So, again, I'm thinking, okay maybe it's just a coincidence but then when Katee's character is around she is sounding just like Starbuck! When I accidentally shot her in the middle of a battle she yelled at me that we're all "friendlies" just like Starbuck says in one of the episodes when she came across both crews ready to battle. But the defining moment was when one of the grunts was attacking the jeep she was in she yelled out something like "Frack! We've been hit!" She definitely says frack. Plus if you stare at her to try and get her to talk she definitely has Starbuck's attitude and will say stuff like "Bug off creepo" or "Is there a problem sir?"

I think I need to buy me a XBox 360...

No comments:

Post a Comment